Thursday, March 24, 2011

The iPad – a cook’s best friend?

The way we cook is being revolutionized by devices like the iPad. Offering countless possibilities for the contemporary home cook, this tablet acts as a recipe database, a weight converter, a timer, an instruction video archive- and that’s just for starters. The kitchen is the heart and soul of a home, and cooking an essential means of bringing people together. With the ceaseless demands of modern life, we here at Food4Friends are bubbling with enthusiasm at the potential of the iPad as a home cooking tool. Anything that saves time is a plus. Anything, in fact, that makes things just that little bit easier is to be welcomed with open arms.

I have always yearned for quick and efficient trips to the supermarket. Instead I invariably end up sloping up and down the fresh produce aisle for half an hour with a nagging feeling that I’ve forgotten some essential ingredient. Needless to say, I always have. Not so with the various iPad apps and their plethora of user friendly features. Forgetting ingredients will soon be a thing of the past, as users can simply email whole ‘shopping lists’ directly to their tablets before popping out. Never again will I have to resign myself to overcooked pasta, or mumble apologetically as I take my dry, dessicated roast chicken out of the oven. With their integrated timers, these apps keep an eye on the time so that I don’t have to. And I don’t have to worry about floury fingerprints all over the screen, either- protective films that allow for full touchscreen interaction are widely available. There are some beautiful stands on the market, too. Treat yourself and invest in a good one- it’ll make the whole experience easier, more efficient and less prone to accidents.

The instruction videos are especially handy for those of us who need a bit of extra guidance with preparation methods. Clear, quick, and easy to follow, they are just one example of the kind of interactive functionality that culinary apps can offer. In fact, they are proving to be so useful I find myself wondering just how we all used to get by without them?

Recipe storage is another classic ailment of the home cook. I have lost count of the times I have jotted down the most wonderful recipe on a bit of scrap paper, only for it to mysteriously disappear, never to be seen again. Or saved it in some obscure file on a laptop, uncovered 6 months after I wanted to use it with no discernible explanation as to what it is doing there at all. This is where the iPad and its various apps really come into their own. Favorite recipes can instantly be archived into a single, easy to access location. My recipes are there where I want them, when I want them. Gone are the days of flicking through two hundred pages in the vain hope of finding that pan fried scampi recipe, or worse- being in the middle of it and losing your place!

All in all, I can’t think of a single reason not to love the iPad and all its culinary apps. Perhaps, like many home cooks, my sense of loyalty towards printed cookery books sometimes gets in the way of my appreciation, but its incredible user friendliness and efficiency in the kitchen soon remind me of why I fell in love with it in the first place. Plus, with the stunning high resolution images of these apps, along with all the history and factual information you could wish for, they each tell a story of their own. Whether it’s a savoury snack, a picnic spread or a sweet treat you’re after, these apps have it all- and on that note, I think it’s time for a quick bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment